Book of Sam Slot Review 2023
ELK Studios’ beloved troll family is back for another adventure and this time they’re heading to Las Vegas, in Book of Sam!
Given Sam and his troll Queen Sandra’s exquisite taste for all-you-can-eat buffets and exotic cocktails, a trip to Las Vegas seems fitting. Failing to secure another babysitter after the last one cancelled at the last minute, they had no choice but to bring their bubbly daughter Maggie along with them.
Book of Sam is the third in the troll family series to grace our screens, after Electric Sam and Sam on the Beach. ELK Studios has a great cast of characters in their slots, including Kane in the popular Gold series and Toro and Matador in the Toro series, but will the troll family finally get their spot in the limelight?
Let’s play on and find out!
Book of Sam Base Game and Features
Book of Sam is a 5 reel slot with 10 fixed paylines. Winning combinations are formed when 3 or more (or 2 or more of any High-paying symbol) lands from left to right, starting from the left-most reel.
The minimum bet available here is £/€0.20 per spin and the maximum bet available is £/€100 per spin, with plenty of other options inbetween the two. Book of Sam has a theoretical RTP of 94.00% and a max win cap of 10,000x.
In terms of symbols, the highest-paying regular symbol here is Sam, followed by Sandra, Maggie and the Egyptian Cat Statue. Low-paying symbols are standard Ace, King, Queen, Jack and Ten. Book Scatters act as Wilds, substituting for all High and Low-paying symbols in the paytable.
Although Book of Sam seems like any other ‘Book’ slot, ELK Studios has gone one step further by introducing a few Electric Treats in the base game. More on this below!
During both the base game and Free Spins round, 3 exciting Electric Treats involving the Sam, Sandra and Maggie symbols can be triggered when they each create a win, as follows.
- Sam – Forming a win with 2 or more Sam symbols will trigger the Sam Electric Treat. Once active, Respins and a Book Scatter symbol on a random position is awarded.
- Sandra – Forming a win with 2 or more Sandra symbols will trigger the Sandra Electric Treat. Once active, Respins and a Multiplier is awarded.
- Maggie – Forming a win with 2 or more Maggie sumbols will trigger the Maggie Electric Treat. Once active, all Low-paying symbols including Cat and Maggie symbols are removed, and new symbols are dropped down to fill their positions. (Expanding symbols in the Free Spins round are not removed).
Book of Sam Free Spins
Landing 3, 4 or 5 Book Scatters across the reels in any position triggers the Free Spins round, awarding 8 Free Spins and 1, 2 or 3 Expanding symbols respectively.
Once active, the game will choose a random symbol (or symbols) as your Expanding symbol(s) for the duration of Free Spins. A minimum of 3 Low-paying symbols need to land across the reels in order for Expansion to occur, and a minimum of 2 High-paying symbols are needed for Expansion.
Expanded symbols will fill the entire reel they are and will pay in any position they are in, even if they are not adjacent to one another on the reels.
Landing 3 or more Book Scatters will award additional Free Spins and +1 extra Expanding symbol, up to a maximum of 5.
Electric Treats are also in play during this time. Sandra’s Multiplier is persistent throughout Free Spins, but it will only activate during an Electric Treat. If the Electric Sam feature triggers, the Book Scatter symbol will also become an Expanding Wild during Respins.
Book of Sam X-Iter
Those outside the UK will benefit from a Bonus Buy option.
ELK Studios has granted players access to their exciting X-Iter buy pass, which offers 5 Bonus Buy options as follows.
- Bonus Hunt – More than doubles your chance to trigger the Bonus Game for a total cost of 2x your current bet per spin.
- Electric Treat – Awards 1 spin with a guaranteed Electric Treat for a total cost of 10x your current bet.
- Expanding Symbols – Awards 1 spin where all symbols are Expanding symbols for a total cost of 50x your current bet.
- Bonus Game – Awards the Free Spins round for a total cost of 100x your current bet.
- Super Bonus Game – Awards the Super Free Spins round, where all High and Low-paying symbols are Expanding symbols, for a total cost of 500x your current bet.
Book of Sam: Our Verdict
Book of Sam is an interesting slot based in a world where Vegas resides in Ancient Egypt, but does a night at Sandras Palace beat Caeasers Palace?
If Book of Sam was your bog-standard Book slot then we’d probably say no, but the Electric Treats Features really gives Book of Sam a level of depth that saves it from being a mediocre book game like any other. It isn’t the first time ELK Studios have delved into the ‘Book of’ world, having tried their hand before with Book of Toro. We’ve thought about the two a lot, and we’re unsure on which we prefer.
They’re both good, and the win potential is identical in both, so pick your favourite really.
Toro just has too much personality for us to ignore, so we think we’re still ‘Camp Toro’ overall, but Book of Sam is not to be underestimated. It’s a rare treat to get a Book slot with something that isn’t completely standard, so we appreciate it even if we are still in favour of their earlier release.
Overall, Book of Sam stands out as another interesting and capable release from the ladies and gentlemen over at ELK Studios. Book of Sam marks their final release for the year, and what a year it’s been for them!